Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Monday, November 22, 2004

Dysfunctional Families

A large part of my practice is family law. If you've ever done any psychological counseling, you are quite familiar with discovering issues with your "family of origin." The whole purpose of this exercise is to discover how dysfunctional your family was and to try to understand how this affects you today. I'll be the first to admit that it can be an interesting exercise is trying to figure out how you got to be the way you are.

Practicing family law has taught me that "dysfunctional" and "family" are synonymous. The real question is where your family falls in the dysfunctional continuum. Since I grew up in the sixties, I vividly remember the Cleavers of "Leave It to Beaver" fame. For a long time, I felt my family was quite dysfunctional. After practicing family law for over 17 years, I now realize that we're a lot closer to the Cleavers than to the Ozbournes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home