Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Sunday, November 28, 2004

My Diagnosis

How I came to discover that I was ADD is quite an interesting tale. First, it starts with a good friend of mine who had a child that was ADD. She was the manager for a client of mine and a good friend. So about two, maybe three, years ago she out of the blue tells me that she's been reading and she's almost positive that not only was she ADD (she is) but also that I'm ADD.

My understanding of ADD at that point was the obnoxious little kid who just can't sit still. Since I'm the quiet, withdrawn type of ADD, I wasn't ready to accept the diagnosis. She did, however, plant a seed and started me to wonder. I now understand that ADDers who are well versed on the qualities of ADDers have a sort of sixth sense at detecting that someone may be ADD. It's almost uncanny how we tend to find other ADD friends and, for some, mates.

Fast forward sometime later to a legal seminar. The seminar had a video out in the lobby as well as the program going on in the auditorium. I'd go into the auditorium and wouldn't last for more than 20 - 30 minutes. I might watch the program from the lobby, but sitting in that auditorium just was too much.

One of my clients was a very dear friend who had known me since high school (High School is another story). He's also an internal medicine doctor. One day we were talking about his ADD brother. I told him, "You know, sometime I think I might be ADD." His reply to me is, "Man, I've known you for over 20 years and you're ADD." He told me that part of the reason we we're friends is that he grew up with several family members who were ADD and he is quite comfortable with ADDers.

When a local doctor (my friend lives in another city) started me on Adderal, I couldn't believe how different my brain felt. I was able to concentrate clearly. I began to realize just how much anxiety I had about starting difficult tasks.

My diagnosis was one of those milestone events in your life where everything takes a new perspective. Many things that I just couldn't understand about myself now made sense. I understood more why I procrastinate. I can accept many things about myself so much easier.

I know why my doctor friend waited until I mentioned about ADD before he gave me his opinion. I just wish I had mentioned it to him earlier.

5 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Great blog.  I just like the site and I will get a
visit again! In my spare time I usually try and look
for blogs just as neat as yours.
I hope you had a chance to check out my blog.

2:20 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Excellent blog. It was so great and I bet I will
go back to it! I get to look online for blogs like
yours is a blessing.
Go by and hit my california lemon law attorney blog, you'll be glad you did.

1:25 AM  
Blogger watermelon-koolaide said...

Striking blog. I liked the site I will be back
again! Websurfing is a good way to find blogs like
yours.
Want to see top notch work, peep my fast cash advance blog site for the bomb work!

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Searching for information in reguards to any new lemon laws on pet lemon law and read your site. Not

exactly what I needed but it drew my attention. Many people get into trouble with pet lemon law and the new laws may not help

them the way they expect. Anyway thanks for the read.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Searching for information in reguards to any new lemon laws on ca lemon law and read your site. Not

exactly what I needed but it drew my attention. Many people get into trouble with ca lemon law and the new laws may not help

them the way they expect. Anyway thanks for the read.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home