Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Monday, November 22, 2004

My Favorite Judge

One of the best judges down at the courthouse should be a poster child for ADD. The man just cannot sit still for very long. He talks incredibly fast. If you sit down to talk with him, he will often pick up the phone spontaneously without even telling you he needs to make a call. He is not only one of the best judges, he's also my favorite judge down at the courthouse.

He's is my favorite because he truly has a sense of compassion. I think a large part of this is due to his ADD nature. Perhaps its because we always feel a little odd in the world that we tend to feel for those who also feel marginalized. The great thing is that people can tell that he cares.

The judge also understands people. The ADDer's brain is so active that they tend more to work with intuition and reading between the lines. We live our thoughts. We mull them over. We ponder about people.

The judge is smart. He always amazes me with his near photographic memory. He will see someone in court from a year ago and start talking about their case. I'm sure this is one of the reasons that he is a judge in spite of being ADD.

This judge also works - and works very hard. For all the non-ADDer's there are two basic types of attention deficit disorder. Those who are primarily hyperactive and those who are primarily inattentive. The Judge is hyperactive. He moves from case to case and gets a lot done. He will stay late in the day to finish his cases. The taxpayers get their money from this man.

Lately, I've been telling the Judge about my ADD diagnosis and treatment. Both times I've talked with him about it, he says that maybe he ought to consider going to check himself out.

I hope that he does. He is a great man. He is a wonderful man. I also see the ways that his ADD negatively affects him. He can get overwhelmed and snap at his staff. He doesn't understand that not everyone can work non-stop like him. He can be disorganized and somewhat scattered.

I'm beginning to believe that there is a high percentage of ADDers in the legal profession. I'm curious if other people feel this way and what theories people may have that would explain this.

Look around you. Between 3 and 5 out of every 100 people you meet will be ADD. Some may go their whole lives never understanding that the reason they struggle is that they are ADD. They will fail at marriages and jobs and never really understand why.

I hope the Judge goes for treatment. I know it will make a great man even greater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home