Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Processing Problems and Odd Ducks

The school recently told me that they suspect that my oldest son is dysgraphic. The old saying is that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. My oldest son is brain-wise the product of his father. It often surprises me how in spite of trying very hard to raise someone different from me, he is so much like me.

As I started researching dysgraphia, I began to realize that I was dysgraphic. Dysgraphia is a problem in the brain with processing the functions need to perform handwriting. For me, the movement of my face and mouth as I wrote as a child must have been quite puzzling to my mother. I would also have quite frequent writer's cramps. So, once again I guess the "sins" of the father are imparted on the son. (I'm still trying to figure out which one of my ancestors must have started this, that person must have been a real piece of work!)

The other coincidences that got me started on this whole subject begin with some of my friends. Friend #1 is a very talented person. I'd rate him about 90% on the "I'll bet he's ADD scale." His son is very gifted. In addition to being gifted, his son is dysgraphic and dyslexic. Is the son ADD? Don't know, but I'm sure curious to find out. Friend #2 is also a very bright and dynamic individual. I'd give him an 85% on the "I'll bet he's ADD scale." His beautiful daughter has been diagnosed as slightly autistic. Despite being autistic, she has an extremely high IQ. Friend #3 is probably not ADD. She is however witty, sensitive, highly intelligent, and a very gifted writer and poet. She feels her son may have Asperger's Syndrome. Her son also is a gifted and talented student. You can tell he is quite uncomfortable around people.

Friend #3's son is really what got me thinking. When I met him, I couldn't help thinking that this boy was somewhat of an "odd duck." I didn't know at the time about his mother's suspicions about his condition. He has long hair and uses it to partially obscure his face. He seems almost afraid that someone will speak with him. He knew about a rather embarrassing email my son send to everyone at their school, and even though I wanted to say something to him about it, I didn't because he didn't appear to really want to be spoken to by anyone.

I now realize that ADD, dygraphia, dyslexia, autism, and Aspergers are all problems of processing external stimuli. For ADDers their brains have a problem with attention and distraction by external stimuli. Many people with ADD, autism or Asperger's have problems with the processing things related to their sense of touch. They may be overly sensitive to things touching their skin. Check out this PDF from a great site by a neurologist. It shows how ADD is just the tip of an iceberg for many people. So many of these disorders occur together in people. I'm wondering if someday science will correlate just how closely related these processing disorders are from one another.

All this started me feeling a twinge of guilt and rethinking my assessment of my friend's child as an "odd duck." I now have a sense of profound awe and wonder and what it must be like to live day to day with Aspergers. It must be very difficult to have so much to share but to feel so uncomfortable expressing it. My brain and his are so alike in many ways, yet so different in others.

Many people see ADDers as "odd ducks." I guess if you look at it, we must be quite odd to a non-ADDer. I know I've often felt like a very odd duck. Fortunately, I now have a new understanding. People with ADD, learning disabilities, autism, and other unique brains are not odd ducks at all. To those not like us we may appear to be odd ducks, but in reality we are just swans of a different color.

4 Comments:

Blogger nalfia said...

There is nothing wrong with you. Drug companies have for decades been invinting illnesses in order to have a market for their drugs.Teachers request their students to be drugged in order to not have to be bothered with those who may seem to march to a different drummer. We are a medicated sociaty, this a big business! Look inside yourself for your cure don't buy into this -"I need to be medicated" bullshit, the answer to all life's questions are found in your own heart and in good nutrician.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Addicus Finch said...

Thanks for reading. Thanks for your concern and for
posting. The issue of medication is very
controversial.

I'm 44 years old. I've been diagnosed for about a
year now. No one told me I was ADD or encouraged me
to seek my diagnosis. It was a realization that I
came to after quite a lot of self-examination. I take
medication and it helps me immensely. I also believe
in a holistic approach and regularly take high doses
of fish oil.

Everybody has a different body, brain, and metabolism.
My treatment may not be right for everybody, but it
works for me.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work on your site, I have a site about omega fish oil. Feel free to add a comment or 2 if you like.

5:31 AM  
Blogger screwed-up-now said...

Excellent blog. Your site was great and will be
finding it again!  I surf the net for blogs like
yours.
Please go over my pay day cash advance blog.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home