Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Thursday, December 02, 2004

The Blessings and Curses of Thinking Too Much

Recently, a special friend of mine told me that I think too much. I think that she recognized this because she also thinks too much. So, soon I was thinking too much about how my brain really does think too much.

I know that this is one of my ADD traits. A hyperkenetic ADDer can't physically keep their body still. They have both an overactive mind and an overactive body. I am an "inattentive" ADDer. This means that while my body may be inactive, my mind is often going one hundred miles an hour.

Many ADD traits can be both a blessing and a curse. The blessing of thinking too much is that I am often a whir of ideas. I take things apart in my mind. I look for new perspectives in my cases. I'm constantly looking for new ways of approaching things and new ways of dealing with things. The blessing of this overactive mind is that it makes me a better lawyer.

This same trait has a darker side. It is the curse of sometimes thinking too much. When you hear or see something bad, you sometimes just can't let go of it. The same friend that told me I think too much also told me of how her father would say destructive things to her. This started the thought process that lead to my post about the best interests of the child. It also brought out of my mind cases and things that I had long stored away. Cases about child abuse. Cases about the evil that parents often inflict on their children. While it's sometimes good to not forget those cases, the thoughts also bring back the hurt that seeing and hearing those things does to one's soul.

These cases made me think a lot about what it must have been like for this beautiful friend of mine. How a lovely and innocent girl must have felt when her father said the things that he did to her. How the pain and hurt must have must have at times seemed unbearable. It also made me admire my friend for being able to say that she still cared for her father in spite of the things that he had said.

In the end, thinking too much made me realize some of the reasons I became a lawyer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home