Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

In the Best Interests of the Child

Part of my practice is family law. I have a love-hate relationship with that part of my practice. I know that a big part of who I am is due to this part of my practice.

The "Best Interests of the Child" is one of those phrases that family lawyers have to use. Since lawyers are supposed to help see that justice is done (at least in the ideal world), we are supposed to put that issue first.

The difficult part is that many in the profession are whores. Show me the money baby. These lawyers only care when the money is there. They'll do anything while the money is there. However, once you're out of cash, you're out of luck. Another difficulty with my profession are those lawyers who believe they are paid to win no matter what. They will try to win no matter what path of destruction they leave behind.

I want to believe that I'm not that way. I often have this third person detachment from my cases. I try to help my clients see that maybe their way is not in the best interests of the child. I'll tell them when I disagree with what they're doing.

I see so many adults do awful hurtful things to their children. This is a large part of the "hate" side of my family law practice. Sometimes they maybe don't realize they're doing it. Other times they just don't care. All they care about are their adult feelings and their personal hurt.

Many of my clients were those hurt children. They still hurt. Many don't realize or are afraid of just how hurt and wounded they are. They wonder why they fail at their relationships. They relive feelings of abandoment and hurt, but often don't realize they are doing this.

When I hear stories of adults who do or say awful, mean things to their children, I get angry. I want to do something about it.

When I hear someone talk about the awful, mean things that were done to them, it moves something deep in my soul. I guess it touches a very deep part of me.

If only people would step back, look outside themselves, and try to look for the best interests of the children.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Bad Husband said...

Keep me honest, buddy, if you ever see me drifting that way.

I know I've got some bitterness and anger issues in my blog, towards my wife, but if you EVER detect the SLIGHTEST bit of using my child as a weapon or a wedge or something...call me on it right away.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm glad I came here, for the ADD info as well as this entry.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home