Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Why Do I Like Being a Lawyer?

This all started with a post on the blog Notes from the (Legal) Underground. The interesting items are the comments and the links. I know a lot of lawyers that just hate what they do.

Since a large part of my practice is family law, it is often some high conflict stuff. I’ve loved and hated practicing law in my 18 years of practice. I’ve had the joys of seeing an abused child adopted by loving parents and the sorrows of knowing that my recently divorce client killed his brother-in-law.

What I like about practicing law is that it keeps my ADD brain occupied. I’m always pondering my cases and thinking about new approaches. I’ve also managed to keep my practice where I can earn a good living while not going into ADD overload. I also get to try to help real people get through tough times. I get to see sorrow and suffering up close. This is what makes me more compassionate than I would be not practing law. The hard part is reminding myself to be detached.

There is so much raw humanity in my law practice. That’s why I like being a lawyer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous credit report said...

thanks for the info

11:30 PM  
Anonymous grumpette said...

Interesting post. I always thought of family lawyers as burned out, depressed types who have seen too many families suffer because the spouses lose it and go for each other's jugulars. Family law or divorce law as many people think of it kind of has a taint to it for that reason. Anyway, it's gratifying to know that there is more to it and that a family lawyer can be a positive instrument in a family's life. CHeers.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT IS JUST SO HELPFUL AND I LOVE THAT YOU LOVE SEEING SOMEONE BEING LOVED BY SOMEONE ELSE

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian, iwspo.net

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home