Law in Hyperspeed

The ADDventures of a practicing attorney in a southern state. I hope those in the law and those with ADD can find some comfort and help in these postings. The only real person in this blog is the author. The people described in this blog mostly represent sterotypes of some of the characters I see in my travels.

Name:
Location: Southern, United States

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Medicating ADHD: Too much? Too soon?

My household should own stock in Shire. 4 out of the 5 people in our household take Adderall XR. My two sons ages 8 and 13 take it. Many people have some prejudice against taking any medication that affects the brain. I really don't understand their thinking. If my thyroid doesn't produce enough hormone, I'll supplement it. If I'm diabetic, I'll take insulin to regulate my blood sugar. Why don't people take something if their brain is deficient in Dopamine.

There is still much debate about when and how to medicate children with ADD. The listed article covers both sides of the debate. I'm prejudiced for the pro-medication side of the debate. My brain functions so much better on Adderall. I found the quote by one of the doctors particularly relevant:

"We have forgotten what our actual mission is--the relief of suffering and impairment. If the use of medication helps us do that job, stop hand-wringing about the extent to which we are using medication in this country."

-- Russell Barkley
University of Massachusett


Check out the article here:

Medicating ADHD: Too much? Too soon?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaynne said...

Adult Add Medicine

12:20 PM  
Anonymous ADHD said...

Hey there ##NAME## appreciate hearing about schools for ADHD mentioned in ##TITLE##. I'm really looking into schools for ADHD alot and landed here! I guess I think it applies to me ,but a lot of things related seem to also. It's actually a bit confusing, but glad to hear and share. Less overwhelming maybe! Thanks,

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there ##NAME## appreciate hearing about ADHD mentioned in ##TITLE##. I'm really looking into ADHD alot and landed here! I guess I think it applies to me ,but a lot of things related seem to also. It's actually a bit confusing, but glad to hear and share. Less overwhelming maybe! Thanks,

12:53 PM  
Blogger cash advance america9 said...

Hype blog. And I admire your site and plan on
returning to it! When I web surf it always helps me to
find great blogs.
I want you to look for my no faxing cash advance blog.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous herbal remedies said...

Hey there,
I'm writing a short note to let you know- I think you have a very informative blog. I enjoyed the great read here today. I'll be back. Keep it coming.
herbal remedies
www.alternativehealthreporter.com

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... video editing schools

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home